I like that we had to do a civic engagement project. I found that it was worthwhile, and a good use of my time. The fact that we have to do all the research and create the opportunity for ourselves, was a pleasant contrast from Colloquium, where our service learning hours felt like free labor for the organization we worked
To improve, I think the class could use a little more class discussion. I enjoyed the classes when we did this, and it was a great opportunity to appreciate the different points of view that are brought from different students into the classroom.
I would also choose to forgo a book and instead use more interactive and creative presentations or discussions on the topics covered in the book. I really felt that a book wasn't really necessary in this particular class.
I would also have enjoyed a small group activity in the beginning of the semester. Something like a field trip or class project for the community. Nothing longer than two class periods. I feel that if we had gone to a soup kitchen for an hour,
or worked together in class to create quilts for a domestic abuse shelter, we could have learned much more about compassion and empathy than we did from reading the book. I think the real learning comes from seeing the look on the faces of the people we help. Some of the civic engagement projects made goods, or raised money, but didn't expose the students to people who received the help. Also, a class project would have helped the class get to know each other a little better, and would have served as an opportunity to learn about creating projects before doing it ourselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment